Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/demrul5/public_html/wp-content/themes/rttheme17/content_generator.php on line 123
I really appreciate all the work the DNC Rules & Bylaws Committee has done over this cycle, and over today’s three hour meeting, but here are some general thoughts:
• As I noted in July, this Committee would benefit from a presentation from someone experienced with disability issues – they don’t understand the definition of disability or what access issues mean to people with disabilities. It is not “wearing eyeglasses.” State inclusion goals for people with disabilities range from 1 to 25%. Years ago, we had a presentation from Ed Turner to the DPVA Central Committee – it has stuck with me ever since and the DNC needs such an experience.
• In general, we are at the point where the DNC should provide guidance and data to help states set affirmative action goals. There needs to be more consistency in terms of type of data considered and what to do with it.
• At times during this meeting, members suggested that this year – with no serious race – the committee could be more lenient in granting waivers. But the RBC should try to maintain a consistent position – the candidate positions shouldn’t affect the rules (although they often do).
• There were a couple of issues at today’s meeting re allowing states to set ranges re caucus dates. Specific caucus dates provide notice and a maximum opportunity to participate. In the 1960s, Democratic Committees held caucuses on buses with cocktails. We can’t do that anymore. The obvious solution is to allow multiple dates, but to have those publicized – e.g. rather than allow caucuses over a week, have them held on a Saturday and a Monday. This gives people reasonable notice, while allowing flexibility.
VA DNC Member
I am proud to represent Virginia as one of our five elected members of the Democratic National Committee. This site features my regular reports from the Democratic National Committee and the Democratic Party of Virginia , occasional news and comment regarding Virginia politics, and useful links and references. More about me, click here.
- Belmont over LSU? Or is that just crazy?
about 3 hours ago
- Extremely useful graphic on 2020 - Thanks @2020Delegates ! https://t.co/NBWR7ifIQR
about 9 hours ago
- A. E. Dick Howard column: Redistricting Commission amendment is a landmark, but work remains to put it in the Virgi… https://t.co/OdBq5wSMFk
about 1 day ago