The first-ever Virginia Summit, which will be held on July 15th-16th at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, will offer two days of intensive training, policy and message briefings, career advancement advice and fellowship with Democratic elected officials, candidates, professionals, and activists from every level. This will be an unprecedented opportunity for Virginia Democrats to come together and build the tools, skills and policy knowledge we need to elect our candidates in the fall and move this Commonwealth forward.
2011 DPVA Summit flier (332.9 KiB, 745 hits)
The Virginia Summit will offer sessions for candidates, activists, professionals and aspiring political staff of all stripes on a wide range of important skills and topics. We’ve got a host of informative and impactful sessions planned already, including:
- Policy briefings on health care, education, national security, energy, and the environment
- Developing and communicating a powerful message
- Running an effective local Democratic committee
- Recruiting and retaining political volunteers
- Making the choice to run for office
- Starting and advancing a career in politics
Dr. Drew Westen, the renowned psychologist, Democratic messaging guru and author of the must-read book The Political Brain, has agreed to share his expertise in two separate Virginia Summit sessions. Dr. Westen has advised campaigns on every level on crafting and delivering an effective and emotionally resonant message. He will deliver a great deal of value to attendees who want to communicate our Democratic values in the most effective way possible.
Mark your calendars and make plans to be in Richmond on July 15th-16th for the Virginia Summit, please click here to reserve your space at this important event today – $25/person.
- Candidate and Campaign Training: Management, Field operations, Communications & Finance
- Exploring Careers in Politics
- “So You want to Run for Office?” : The Personal Decision, Career Considerations, Building your Resume, and Creating Your Kitchen Cabinet
- Understanding & Writing a Campaign Plan
Saturday Morning Sessions
- Iraq, Afghanistan & US Global Engagement
- Running an Effective Local Committee
- Organizing in the Military & Veterans Community
- Education & Investing in America’s Future Leaders
- Energy & The Environment
- Messaging: Moving Thoughts to Action in Community
Keynote Lunch- Drew Westen, Author of the Political Brain
Saturday Afternoon Sessions
- How to talk about Values with Dr. Drew Westen
- Healthcare: Understanding the Critical Debates, the New System and Virginia’s Role
- State Party Plan and Local Bylaws
- Local Committee and Community Outreach; Volunteer Recruitment & Retention (breakout sessions for Urban, Suburban and Rural Communities)
- Economy & Jobs: National and State Realities
- Local Committee Finance and Compliance
- Building Relationships with Labor, Young Democrats and Progressive Organizations at the Grassroots
Guests attending 2011 Virginia Summit have several options available to them for hotels while they are in town.
- The official DPVA room block for Friday and Saturday nights will be at the Hilton Garden Inn. Please call the hotel directly for reservations and mention that you are with the Democratic Party of Virginia to get the special rate.
Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Downtown
501 East Broad Street
- Additional Recommendation
500 East Broad Street
VA DNC Member
I am proud to represent Virginia as one of our five elected members of the Democratic National Committee. This site features my regular reports from the Democratic National Committee and the Democratic Party of Virginia , occasional news and comment regarding Virginia politics, and useful links and references. More about me, click here.