Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/demrul5/public_html/wp-content/themes/rttheme17/content_generator.php on line 123
Here’s an article that provides a summary of the new law. Key points include:
- It does not go into effect until July 2014, so photo IDs are not required for the 2013 Governor and other races.
- The Department of Justice must approve the requirement, and legal challenges are likely.
- A valid photo ID would include a Virginia driver’s license, a U.S. passport or any other photo ID issued by the United States, Virginia or one of its political subdivisions, a student ID issued by any institute of higher learning in Virginia or any employee identification card.
- Voter registration offices are supposed to issue free voter IDs.
- Governor McDonnell has directed the State Board of Elections to implement voter outreach effortts, here.
The article does not stress that the photo ID requirement is completely unnecessary because there are virtually no instances of voter ID fraud, it will cost a bunch of money, it is unfair to urban/elderly/young voters who lack driver’s licenses, and it will do nothing (but exacerbate) our biggest election problem – mutli-hour waits in line that discourage voting. This article, however, does.
VA DNC Member
I am proud to represent Virginia as one of our five elected members of the Democratic National Committee. This site features my regular reports from the Democratic National Committee and the Democratic Party of Virginia , occasional news and comment regarding Virginia politics, and useful links and references. More about me, click here.
- Belmont over LSU? Or is that just crazy?
about 20 hours ago
- Extremely useful graphic on 2020 - Thanks @2020Delegates ! https://t.co/NBWR7ifIQR
about 1 day ago
- A. E. Dick Howard column: Redistricting Commission amendment is a landmark, but work remains to put it in the Virgi… https://t.co/OdBq5wSMFk
about 2 days ago