Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/demrul5/public_html/wp-content/themes/rttheme17/content_generator.php on line 123
The Democratic Party of Virginia held its quarterly meeting in Newport News, Virginia this weekend – highlights:
- The Party voted to choose its 2014 Senate nominee by a primary instead of a convention. If only one candidate, e.g. Sen. Mark Warner, files, he will be declared the nominee.
- We are seeking volunteers – both lawyers and non-lawyers — to assist with the Herring for AG recount – sign up here
- DPVA adopted its 2014 budget, which includes funding for three regional political directors who will be in the field helping local committees and candidates, and a finance director. The budget continues its focus on candidate support, training, technology, and communications.
- State Senator Donald McEachin spoke about the need to help our candidates in upcoming Senate special elections – Lynwood Lewis in the 6th (tidewater) and Jennifer Wexton in the 33rd (Loudoun/Fairfax) – please help!
- Three of the party’s key staff members are departing for better opportunities – Executive Director Lauren Harmon returns to the Ohio Democratic Party, Political Director Clark Mercer will serve as Chief of Staff for Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam, and Communications Director Brian Coy is joining the McAuliff administration. These folks have done a terrific job – we really hate to see them go, but wish them all the best.
- DVPA adopted a resolution supporting immigration reform and one I drafted honoring Nelson Mandela.
- Lt. Gov.-Elect Northam and Attorney Gen. Elect Mark Herring addressed the Committee, as did Secretary of the Commonwealth nominee Levar Stoney.
- DPVA will host an inauguration event – more on that and other inauguration events later, but follow this site.
- As always, it was great to see Democratic friends from every part of the Commonwealth. First time doing fireballs at a VIP hookah lounge though; that was fun.
The Virginia GOP also met this weekend – they affirmed their selection of a Convention in Roanoke in June 2014 to nominate their Senate candidate – EW Jackson or Susan Allen or whoever.
DPVA Resolution honoring Nelson Mandela (24.5 KiB, 1,127 hits)
VA DNC Member
I am proud to represent Virginia as one of our five elected members of the Democratic National Committee. This site features my regular reports from the Democratic National Committee and the Democratic Party of Virginia , occasional news and comment regarding Virginia politics, and useful links and references. More about me, click here.