Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/demrul5/public_html/wp-content/themes/rttheme17/content_generator.php on line 123
The DNC Rules and Bylaws Committee held its “shortest meeting on record” today. In its meeting in San Juan last fall, the RBC finalized the rules and regulations, which were sent to State parties by Dec. 15. Patrice Taylor reviewed the upcoming deadlines (see below). The DNC will present a delegate selection plan webinar (to be scheduled). Co-Chair James Roosevelt noted that a number of states must move back their primary/caucus dates to comply with the DNC/RNC March 6 deadline. The DNC and RNC leadership recently met, and the new RNC Chair affirmed his commitment to the calendar. Some states, particularly Florida, may raise compliance issues, as noted in a recent article. The RBC takes the approach that if states document “provable positive steps” to bring state law into compliance, but fails, its delegation will be seated. This will continue to be a controversial issue. Note that Virginia Democrats were able to reach an agreement with the state GOP so that our primary date – March 6, 2012 – complies with both national party rules.
- March 1 – State Parties must appoint Affirmative Action (AA) Committees – many states have already done so.
- March 15 – new requirement – state to provide names and info for AA Committees
- May 2 – all states must submit their plans, approved by state governing bodies.
- June-Sept. 16 – RBC will meet to review all plans for compliance; meeting to be scheduled shortly.
- September 16 – states must begin to implement AA plans
VA DNC Member
I am proud to represent Virginia as one of our five elected members of the Democratic National Committee. This site features my regular reports from the Democratic National Committee and the Democratic Party of Virginia , occasional news and comment regarding Virginia politics, and useful links and references. More about me, click here.
- Interesting take on IA vs. NV, under new DNC caucus rules - here's the Nevada draft plan. https://t.co/uC5gwG5YxI https://t.co/q1nEEgVcJk
about 16 hours ago
- Schapiro: Voice from past says Northam is key to Democrats' future https://t.co/6eAFe4LFzN via @rtdnews
about 21 hours ago
- Belmont over LSU? Or is that just crazy?
about 2 days ago