Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz presided over her first DNC meeting and gave a strong speech supporting passage of the American Jobs Act and the reelection of President Obama . Highlights:
• Everyone urged to call their Congressperson in support of the American Jobs Act. I
• Minneapolis Mayor Rybak elected vice chair and appointments confirmed.
• Dick Durban – spoke about Bush’s deficit spending, job losses, and war, and Predient Obama’s efforts to resolve these issues; GOP efforts to undermine Health Care and Wall Street Reform; Obama’s accomplishment including repeal of DADT, Supreme Court appointments, supporting education, saving the auto industry; investing in America; the Dream Act.
• Fundarising going well – tens of thousands of new donors, 98% less than $200, raised 1M day of Jobs speech.
• Tribute to DNC Chair Chuck Mannatt (Chair 1981-1985), who got the national party back on track after the 1980 election and started construction of the first permanent DNC HQ.
• Adopted Resolutions (see prior post; I will post final report).
• No additional old or new business.
• Secretary Germond announced that office director Jean Doherty is leaving to join Gov. Patick in MA. She did a terrific job and we will miss her. (Go Bruins!) But the new director is Lindsey Reynolds – former ED of the DPVA – who will do a terrific job; very exciting.
• Mayor Ryback: “Give ‘em hell Barry”
• DWS – “The only job Republicans care about is Barrack Obama’s”
• Durban – “the Tea Party motto is, ‘never forget, we are all in this alone.”’
VA DNC Member
I am proud to represent Virginia as one of our five elected members of the Democratic National Committee. This site features my regular reports from the Democratic National Committee and the Democratic Party of Virginia , occasional news and comment regarding Virginia politics, and useful links and references. More about me, click here.