The Democratic National Committee held its first meeting of the new term in Charlotte on September 7, 2012. (DNC terms begin at the closing gavel of each Presidential nominating convention.) The meeting was far better attended than the 2008 meeting in Denver. Some highlights:
- Numerous speakers congratulated DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Charlotte Mayor Anthony Fox, and everyone else who worked together to put on this epic event; the most unified, energetic, and focused National Democratic Convention ever.
- Congress has added a representative from the Northern Mariana Islands to Congress, so the DNC amended its Charter and By-Laws to add 2 DNC members from there as well. Next convention’s roll call just got one “state” longer, but of course we welcome the new delegation.
- There were a number of questions about the DNC’s response to voter suppression efforts. The Chair will set up a call with Will Crossley, DNC Voter Protection coordinator, to make sure that people understand the party’s ongoing efforts. Check out www.protectingthevote.org and www.gottavote.org.
- Next meetings – Executive Committee & Association of Democratic Chairs, Nov. 30-Dec. 1, 2012; full DNC, January 21, 2013 in Washington DC.
VA DNC Member
I am proud to represent Virginia as one of our five elected members of the Democratic National Committee. This site features my regular reports from the Democratic National Committee and the Democratic Party of Virginia , occasional news and comment regarding Virginia politics, and useful links and references. More about me, click here.
- And it’s not both sides https://t.co/C7hJrgbUWJ
about 6 hours ago
- I remember Richmond Bishop Sullivan leading vigils against the death penalty in the 1980s - this is long over due -… https://t.co/asqkMpLLPB
about 1 day ago
- Virginia Senate passes bill to move all municipal elections from May to November https://t.co/GprJYQqYPo via @roanoketimes @DPVAvote
about 3 days ago