Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/demrul5/public_html/wp-content/themes/rttheme17/content_generator.php on line 123
The DPVA Steering Committee met last night and endorsed the Senate-passed Congressional redistricting plan that provides for two opportunity districts. The SC also recommended nominating the next US senator from Virginia in a primary, to be held on June 12, 2012 (the same time as the GOP primary). The SC also recommended the selection of George Mason University in Fairfax as the location for the June 2, 2012 VA Democratic Convention. This would be the first Northern Virginia Convention ever and we hope to draw high level speakers as well as doing the business of electing National Convention Delegates and DNC members. Other business:
- Discussed 2011 general assembly races – 52 days away
- Adopted resolutions merging the Bedford city and county committees and honoring the late Ken Geroe
- Mike Henry of the Kaine campaign and Brandyn Keating of OFA spoke about their efforts to help 2011 candidates as well as prepare for 2012
- Dr. Lateef, Dem candidate for PW county chair spoke
- Brian Coy spoke about new and increasing DPVA communications – they are doing a great job, check out the DPVA website
- DPVA vice chair Gaylene Kanoyton reported on the DNC meeting in Chicago and Association of State Democratic Chairs meeting in Portland – Gaylene is doing an excellent job of representing Va at these organizations, bringing information back, and moving these groups forward
- Reviewed the sucess of this summer’s Summit in Richmond – which was attended by 500 party activists
- Vice Chair for Tech Craig Fifer spoke about continuing tech updates, including the new Iphone App.
- Heard presentations from state party counsel – Jeff Bourne and deputies Fred Mittelman and Steve Cobb, especially regarding protect and promote the vote efforts for 2011 – contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- After the meeting, the Democratic Latino Caucus of Virginia had an excellent reception, honored Senators Henry Marsh and John Edwards, heard Terry McAuliffe, recognized a number of elected officials who attended, and noted Alfonso Lopez, who will join the General Assembly the upcoming session.
- Next meeting will be in Hampton on December 2
- State Central Committee to meet today.
VA DNC Member
I am proud to represent Virginia as one of our five elected members of the Democratic National Committee. This site features my regular reports from the Democratic National Committee and the Democratic Party of Virginia , occasional news and comment regarding Virginia politics, and useful links and references. More about me, click here.
- John Ragosta column: What we’re missing in all the fuss https://t.co/7n9MEdgCpe via @RTDOpinions
about 4 hours ago
- Hanover GOP chairman demands Del. Chris Peace disavow write-in votes https://t.co/zw1ZHDD18p via @rtdnews
about 4 hours ago
- Excellent - has he signed the bill moving the date for party registration to February 14th? https://t.co/hjZU11oZZA
about 6 hours ago