To implement the photo ID legislation enacted last year (SB 1256), the State Board of Elections (SBE) is developing the process for Registered Voters who lack one of the eligible photo IDs to obtain one free of charge from their local voter registrar. The voter must complete an application form. The proposed form states that requesting a photo ID when you may already have one is a felony and requires those requesting the free ID to swear that they do not have one:
“I swear/affirm, under felony penalty form making willfully false material statements or entries, that the information provided on this form is true, and that I do not have any acceptable form of identification required to vote in-person.”
Virginia Organizing, and The League of Women Voters of Virginia also oppose the inclusion of the felony statement. Such a declaration is unnecessary, unwarranted, intimidating and not required by the legislative language. Please Take Action and Submit Comments before March 24, 2014.
- First, use this link to see the application form (PDF) that shows the line numbers.
- Second, note lines 10 through 12. It is recommended that these lines be eliminated because the statement is unnecessary, unwarranted, intimidating and not required by the legislative language.
- Third, make comments on the SurveyMonkey, click here.
You may return to the survey if you have further comments. Each comment box allows for 400 characters.
VA DNC Member
I am proud to represent Virginia as one of our five elected members of the Democratic National Committee. This site features my regular reports from the Democratic National Committee and the Democratic Party of Virginia , occasional news and comment regarding Virginia politics, and useful links and references. More about me, click here.
- Join me in supporting Rural Caucus DPVA via @actblue https://t.co/XdS8m4dyTD #DPVARuralRetreat
about 5 hours ago
- Schapiro: Can Democrats again harvest votes in Va. countryside? https://t.co/wSZ2rJGJdF via @rtdnews
about 5 hours ago
- “Indivisible,” the Fast Growing Protest Movement You’ve Probably Never Heard About https://t.co/RYHaevFS9X via @bearingdrift RW view
about 6 hours ago